[Samba] SAMBA4 API

Taylor Hammerling thammerling at tcsbasys.com
Tue Nov 14 19:46:33 UTC 2017

Rowland -

The fog server is an imaging server, and had 90% of the information we
wanted to track by virtue of the end user machines being registered with
it, which is why we are using it as the base for our inventory server.
We simply added on a couple of tables to add the ability to store some
information that FOG didn't natively store.  The inventory is going to
store WAY more than just our end user machines.  It will store information
on all our network devices (printers, APs, routers, firewalls, etc etc) as
well as servers which aren't registered with FOG, which is why it is
important to have the inventory page be able to interface with the SAMBA4
DNS server.

You have answered my question.

I asked "Is there an API to allow me to modify DNS records from a server
external to the DC"

you replied "not to my knowledge"

We're good :D  Thanks for your help!

On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 1:32 PM, Rowland Penny via samba <
samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Nov 2017 13:10:20 -0600
> Taylor Hammerling <thammerling at tcsbasys.com> wrote:
>
> > From the inventory server, which is a separate server from the DC.
> > it's a FOG server which has had several additional tables bolted onto
> > the database and a PHP inventory page added to it.
> >

> Not sure I understand just what you are trying to do here, but isn't a
> FOG server a way of creating multiple computers from the same image,
> then making them individual by configuring the hostname etc. You can
> then join them to the AD domain, at which point windows machines can
> update their own records in AD.
>
> Rowland
>
> --

*Taylor Hammerling* |  *IT Manager*