[Samba] Adding indexing to samba AD question.

Jonathan Hunter jmhunter1 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 08:16:20 UTC 2017

Hi Louis,

I just checked and I can confirm that this does work, I have my own custom
attributes in the @INDEXLIST in my AD:

root at dc1:/# ldbsearch -H /usr/local/samba/private/sam.ldb  -s base -b
@INDEXLIST
# record 1
dn: @INDEXLIST
@IDXONE: 1
@IDXVERSION: 2
@IDXATTR: mycustomattrib1
@IDXATTR: mycustomattrib2
@IDXATTR: volTableIdxGUID
@IDXATTR: USNIntersite
@IDXATTR: uSNCreated
@IDXATTR: uSNChanged
[...]
distinguishedName: @INDEXLIST

# returned 1 records
# 1 entries
# 0 referrals

I've gone back over my notes from when I created this, and I think that in
my case I added the searchFlags: 1 attribute directly whilst adding my
custom attributes to my AD schema; but I can't imagine it wouldn't also
work if you add it later. Mine have been in place for the last 2.5 years,
at any rate.

Cheers

Jonathan

On 2 November 2017 at 15:07, Andrew Bartlett via samba <
samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 2017-10-27 at 10:36 +0200, L.P.H. van Belle via samba wrote:
> > Hai,
> >
> > I need to add some extra indexing on my AD DB, and im not sure if what
> the correct/best methode is.
> > And is there any reason i should not do this, i did search on the wiki,
> but could not find the info i searched for.
> >
> > I know the following. Checked the current index. ( source info :
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/LDB )
> > ldbsearch -H /var/lib/samba/private/sam.ldb  -s base -b @INDEXLIST
> > So i have a current list of indexes set and i did see that i miss and
> what i want.
> >
> > I want to index one/several of my mail attributes for zarafa/kopano.
> > zarafaAccount/kopanoAccount
> >
> > Can someone or guide me a bit or point my to the correct info howto do
> this, since i dont want to mess up my AD. ;-)
> >
> > I did see an instruction for Zentyal, but vanilla samba, does not
> contain the searchFlags attribute.
> > (source : https://exekias.me/2015/05/06/samba-indexes/ )
> > So to me the link here is not correct for me.
> >
> > Anyone? Tips examples very apriciated.
>
> This link looks correct, setting this via searchFlags is the correct
> approach.  The @INDEXLIST is then updated by Samba at or before the
> next startup, triggering a re-index (possibly slow).
>
> Also note that Samba 4.7 is much, much faster than previous versions in
> the un-indexed case.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andrew Bartlett
> --
> Andrew Bartlett                       http://samba.org/~abartlet/
> Authentication Developer, Samba Team  http://samba.org
> Samba Developer, Catalyst IT          http://catalyst.net.nz/
> services/samba
>

> --

"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research,
would it?"
      - Albert Einstein