[Samba] Adding indexing to samba AD question.

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Nov 2 15:07:14 UTC 2017

On Fri, 2017-10-27 at 10:36 +0200, L.P.H. van Belle via samba wrote:
> Hai,
>
> I need to add some extra indexing on my AD DB, and im not sure if what the correct/best methode is.
> And is there any reason i should not do this, i did search on the wiki, but could not find the info i searched for.
>
> I know the following. Checked the current index. ( source info : https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/LDB )
> ldbsearch -H /var/lib/samba/private/sam.ldb  -s base -b @INDEXLIST
> So i have a current list of indexes set and i did see that i miss and what i want.
>
> I want to index one/several of my mail attributes for zarafa/kopano.
> zarafaAccount/kopanoAccount
>
> Can someone or guide me a bit or point my to the correct info howto do this, since i dont want to mess up my AD. ;-)
>
> I did see an instruction for Zentyal, but vanilla samba, does not contain the searchFlags attribute.
> (source : https://exekias.me/2015/05/06/samba-indexes/ )
> So to me the link here is not correct for me.
>
> Anyone? Tips examples very apriciated.

This link looks correct, setting this via searchFlags is the correct
approach.  The @INDEXLIST is then updated by Samba at or before the
next startup, triggering a re-index (possibly slow).

Also note that Samba 4.7 is much, much faster than previous versions in
the un-indexed case.

Thanks,

Andrew Bartlett