[Samba] Server-side copy support for Mac OS clients

Ralph Böhme slow at samba.org
Wed Nov 8 12:31:05 UTC 2017

On Wed, Nov 08, 2017 at 01:25:01PM +0100, David Disseldorp wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> On Tue, 07 Nov 2017 21:04:47 -0500, Andrew Berry via samba wrote:
>
> > Is this supposed to be supported in Samba 4.7.1? Server side copies work
> > fine using a Windows client. From mac OS 10.13.2, there's a full
> > transfer of a file being copied.
>
> Yes, it's supported, and should work fine with (and IIUC also without)
> the vfs_fruit module enabled. I'm not aware of the macOS client version
> required, but Ralph (cc'ed) might be.

there's a special macOS copyfile extension that requests a complete file+streams
copy in one request. It's supported by fruit but of by default:

       fruit:copyfile = yes | no
           A global option whether to enable OS X specific copychunk ioctl that requests a
           copy of a whole file along with all attached metadata.

           WARNING: the copyfile request is blocking the client while the server does the
           copy.

           The default is no.

-slow

--