[Samba] Samba AD has empty Default GPOs

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue May 30 07:07:01 UTC 2017

On Mon, 29 May 2017 18:44:41 -0400
Philippe Clérié via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> What about DC as primary domain controller? No Windows servers. Only
> clients.
>
> On Mon, May 29, 2017 at 5:19 PM, Rowland Penny <rpenny at samba.org>
> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 29 May 2017 17:01:56 -0400
> > Philippe Clérié via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Is it normal for a fresh installation of Samba to have empty
> > > Default Domain Controllers Policy and Default Domain Policy?
> > >
> > > I've done 5 DC using Samba and the last three always had empty
> > > default gpos.
> > >
> > > (Using Ubuntu 16.04 and Samba 4.3,11)
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >

> > If you mean DCs that you join to a domain, then yes, you need to
> > sync sysvol to the new DCs

Sorry, my misunderstanding. I thought you were referring to when you
joined another DC to an existing domain, in which case my reply was
valid.

If you mean are the default GPOs always empty on a provisioned domain,
then again the answer is yes, and you should not alter them. If you
need GPOs, then add new ones.

Rowland