[Samba] ntlm_auth with freeradius

Tim ODriscoll tim.odriscoll at lambrookschool.co.uk
Mon May 29 11:11:19 UTC 2017

Hello All,

After updating to sernet-samba-4.6.4, ntlm_auth doesn't appear to work for me with challenge and nt-responses.

I'm using ntlm_auth in freeradius to authenticate my wifi users against my AD. In sernet-samba-4.2.14 it was working perfectly. My freeradius server is an AD Member, and I've got two other sernet-samba-4.6.4 AD DC's.

$ ntlm_auth --request-nt-key --domain=LAMBROOK --username=tim.odriscoll --password=<mypass>
NT_STATUS_OK: Success (0x0)

$ ntlm_auth --request-nt-key --domain=LAMBROOK --username=tim.odriscoll --password=<mypass> --challenge=<challenge-from-radtest> --nt-response=<response-from-radtest>
Logon failure (0xc000006d)

Is it safe to use the challenge/responses from a recent radtest command in my ntlm_auth testing?

How can I dig deeper into this problem and get to the bottom of it?

Many thanks,

Tim