[Samba] Not possible to chown as guest?

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri May 26 20:44:23 UTC 2017

On Sat, 27 May 2017 05:18:25 +0900
john smith via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On 5/27/17, Rowland Penny via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> >> Ok, I know that. Please read my 1st post more carefully. I added my
> >> nobody user to users group. I can log in as nobody on the server
> >> and do `chown nobody:users <FILE>.
> >
> > To login, you must have given 'nobody' a password, given it a home
> > directory and a shell that lets it login. Or do you mean that you
> > can connect to a share as the user 'nobody' although this would
> > still mean that 'nobody' has a password.
>
> First I log in as root into my OpenWRT router and then just do `su
> nobody'. Of course I had to enable nobody first by changing its shell
> from /var/false to /bin/ash. After doing `su nobody':
>
> uid=65534(nobody) gid=65534(nogroup) groups=100(users),65534(nogroup)
>
> Note that it belongs to users group. As a user nobody I can create a
> file:
>
> $ touch FILE
> $ ls -l FILE
> -rw-r--r--    1 nobody   nogroup          0 May 26 22:12 FILE
>
> And change the file's group to users:
>
> $ chown nobody:users FILE
> $ ls -l FILE
> -rw-r--r--    1 nobody   users            0 May 26 22:12 FILE
>
> And it works.

Well yes, it probably does, but out the box it wouldn't because it is a
BAD idea.

> I just want to know why can't I do chown as a guest in
> a mounted directory.

I do not fully know, but it is probably because this is such a bad idea
that it has been made not to work, or even more likely, no one ever
thought about doing this (because it is a bad idea), so there is no
code in Samba to do this.

Rowland