[Samba] Migrate from sernet-samba to samba4

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri May 26 18:00:36 UTC 2017

On Fri, 26 May 2017 13:18:20 -0400 (EDT)
Kevin Kretz <kevin at kretz.net> wrote:

> I want to migrate from Sernet samba as well, and to make matters
> worse it's not a current version (I'm on
> 4.1.17-SerNet-Debian-10.wheezy)
>
> If I understand correctly, I should compile the same version of samba
> as my Sernet version, join it, demote the Sernet server, and after
> that's completed and working properly, upgrade the new samba server.

No, there is no need to do that, just use Louis's packages:

https://downloads.van-belle.nl/samba4/

Though he doesn't seem to have 4.6.4 out yet, but I am sure he is
working on it ;-)

When you do get the new packages, run the join command like this:

samba-tool domain join ad.xxxx.net DC -U kevin

'AD\kevin' is a Unix user, I don't know if this makes any difference,
but it is worth a try, if it still doesn't work, try with
'Administrator'

You do not need the dns option, it is the default.

Rowland