[Samba] Migrate from sernet-samba to samba4

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu May 25 13:42:13 UTC 2017

On Thu, 25 May 2017 14:29:20 +0200
Marc Muehlfeld via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am 25.05.2017 um 13:58 schrieb Tim ODriscoll via samba:
> > Am I correct in thinking that to migrate from sernet's
>  > packages I'd need to remove one server from the domain,
>  > re-compile the samba source using the same configure
>  > options, then 'make install', then re-join it to the
>  > domain as a DC? Then do the same on my other DC..?
>

> If you use the same configure options, you don't have to remove the
> DC from the domain and rejoin later, because then the binaries would
> use the same paths to the databases which are (usually) not deleted
> if you uninstall a package.
>
> Even if the paths to the databases changes, you don't have to,
> because you can move the databases. However, this will all be part of
> the migration documentation I'm working on. Give me some time to
> finish it. It will cover all these scenarios.
>

> Regards,
> Marc

The easiest way to migrate is to set up a new computer, install the
version of Samba that you want to use, join this to the domain as a new
DC. When you are sure that replication etc is working correctly,
demote and remove the old DC.

Trying to change from one set of packages to another will always have
a slight chance of a mistake creeping, it very probably won't happen,
but it might.

Rowland