[Samba] Unable to set SeDiskOperatorPrivilege (again)

John Gardeniers jgardeniers at integradev.com.au
Wed May 24 21:40:50 UTC 2017

Hi Rowland,

Those low numbers you refer to are in fact the standard numbers assigned
to those groups, so I fail to see the problem. As for mapping
Administrator to root, I believe that's entirely optional, rather than
required. Under normal circumstances we don't use the domain
Administrator account at all. We have a root account we use instead.

In regard to winbind, we have never used it and there's a concern here
that it may clash with our use of sssd, which is working great for all
normal purposes. Using multiple authentication mechanisms against the
same source can't be a good idea and, as you can see from my question,
we have no trouble resolving users or groups normally.

Here's smb.conf from the test machine:

[global]
     security = ADS
     workgroup = MYDOMAIN
     realm = MYDOMAIN.COM.AU

     log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
     log level = 1

     # Default ID mapping configuration for local BUILTIN accounts
     # and groups on a domain member. The default (*) domain:
     # - must not overlap with any domain ID mapping configuration!
     # - must use an read-write-enabled back end, such as tdb.
     idmap config * : backend = tdb
     idmap config * : range = 10000-19999

     vfs objects = acl_xattr
     map acl inherit = Yes