[Samba] Moving an existing DC to new hardware

lingpanda101 lingpanda101 at gmail.com
Wed May 24 15:59:49 UTC 2017

Hello,

     I need to begin the process of updating several of my DC's to new
hardware and OS versions. I'm not seeing anything in the wiki on the
subject so please direct me if it exists.

The issue's I can foresee are reusing the hostnames and IP's. I assume I
have the following two options

  * Create new DC's and join with new hostnames and IP's. (adjust
    workstation DNS settings)
      o Demote and decommission existing DC's.
  * Backup existing DC's by following
    https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Back_up_and_Restoring_a_Samba_AD_DC
      o Create new DC's with same hostnames and IP's and OS's. Restore
        DC from backup and subsequently upgrade OS.

Am I omitting any other options? Thanks.

James