[Samba] classic upgrade, splitting servers

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed May 24 10:53:50 UTC 2017

On Wed, 24 May 2017 12:39:32 +0200
"Stefan G. Weichinger via samba" <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Am 2017-05-24 um 11:55 schrieb Rowland Penny:
> > On Wed, 24 May 2017 11:36:07 +0200
> > "Stefan G. Weichinger via samba" <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> >

> >> No big change here ...
> >>
> >> I can:
> >>
> >> * logon as BUERO\root
> >>
> >> * connect to the shares on \\dc
> >>
> >> * test other users via smbclient (auth works for them)
> >>
> >> But:
> >>
> >> * login as BUERO\Administrator just sits there and waits for
> >> minutes ... no error message, no desktop ... I can cancel that via
> >> CtrlAltDel
> >>

> > where are you actually logging into, the DC or a windows client ?
>
> the windows PC

Then you have something very wrong, if I try to log into a win7 PC as
root, I get:

The user name or password is incorrect

Whilst if I try to log into a Samba DC as administrator, I get this:

rowland at devstation:~$ ssh Administrator at member1
Password:
Creating directory '/home/administrator'.
Linux member1 3.16.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.39-1+deb8u1 (2017-02-22) x86_64

The programs included with the Devuan GNU/Linux system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Devuan GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
Last login: Tue May 16 20:22:13 2017 from devstation.samdom.example.com
root at member1:~# pwd
/home/administrator
root at member1:~# whoami
root
root at member1:~#

'root' is a Unix user and Windows shouldn't know anything about it,
whilst 'Administrator' is mapped to 'root' on a DC.

Does 'root' exist in AD, if so, remove this user.

Rowland