[Samba] Windows 10 spawning thousands of child processes on Samba 4.3.11 server

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue May 23 14:54:17 UTC 2017

On Tue, 23 May 2017 16:34:29 +0200
Asbjorn Taugbol via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Yes, the users exist as both Linux and Samba users. My question was
> if the Windows client user "Admin" also needs to be Linux and Samba
> user.

There is no windows user called 'Admin', there is one called
'Administrator', if it is the later, then it is automatically mapped to
'root' on a DC, but, on anything else, you need to map it in smb.conf
with a user.map setting.
If it is a separate user called 'Admin', then this is treated as just
another user and must exist in Samba and Unix on a standalone server.

> Could be. This was not a problem in the old Samba 3.4. It all started
> after switching to new Samba 4.3.11-Ubuntu.

Quite a lot has changed between 3.4 and now.

Rowland