[Samba] Windows 10 spawning thousands of child processes on Samba 4.3.11 server

Asbjorn Taugbol asbjornt at gmail.com
Tue May 23 14:34:29 UTC 2017

On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 3:59 PM, Rowland Penny <rpenny at samba.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 23 May 2017 14:53:57 +0200
> Asbjorn Taugbol via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
> > > 1. The Windows client user "Admin" has mounted samba share with
> > > username
> > "production" and can access any files on that share. Why does Samba
> > start messing with other/unknown usernames? Should I create a
> > Linux/Samba "Admin" user? I admit having a somewhat limited knowledge
> > of Windows/samba authentication.
>
> Yes, on a standalone server you need to create Samba users that are
> also Unix users, see here:

Yes, the users exist as both Linux and Samba users. My question was if the
Windows client user "Admin" also needs to be Linux and Samba user.

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_a_Standalone_Server

> > 2. Why are the nobody/nogroup processes not dropped when the
> > corresponding locked files are no longer used?  The average ratio of
> > processes/locked files is 25.000/2.000.
>
> Possibly because they aren't being closed correctly ???

Could be. This was not a problem in the old Samba 3.4. It all started after
switching to new Samba 4.3.11-Ubuntu.

-Asbjorn