[Samba] join W10-PCs to NT4-based samba-domain?

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon May 15 12:06:20 UTC 2017

On Mon, 15 May 2017 13:25:03 +0200
"Stefan G. Weichinger via samba" <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> As you may remember I went through a classic-upgrade a few months ago.
>
> I have a second domain to migrate and I am again/still scared to
> attack that ;-)
>
> As I prepare my test VM and try to remember all those details the
> customer has purchase 2 new Windows 10 PCs and I was asked to take
> them into production.
>
> Is there a way to join them to the existing NT4-based Samba-domain or
> not?
>
> I find various results online and wonder if it's possible and if I
> have to prepare specific things for doing that (registry changes?)
>
> Thanks for an up to date statement on this,
> Stefan
>
> ps: I already tried that join 2 weeks ago and wasn't successful ...

Windows doesn't support joining Windows 7 to an NT4-style domain, so
they definitely won't support windows 10.

You may find a way around this lack of Microsoft support, you may also
find that a subsequent Windows update stops it working again.

I really think that it is time that anybody still running an NT4-style
domain starts making plans to upgrade to AD.

Just look what has happened over the weekend with wanacry and XP.
Support for XP & Vista has ended, 7 is in extended support, you really
need to be running supported systems.

Rowland