[Samba] Problems with samba and profile syncing from various windows versions

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Wed May 10 11:39:00 UTC 2017

Hai,

Why use time.windows.com, are you pc's not domain joined?
Because if they are join you sync time with the AD DC(s) throught the AD by default.
Works here Win 7 32/64bit up to win 10 32/64bit build 1607.

Setup the following, on you DC's.
Setup ntp and configure ntp.conf
The go here and choose a stratum 1 ntp server. ( more curate )
http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Servers/StratumOneTimeServers

By default a pool of servers is used which can cause an time difference.

If you login as admin on a pc and check the eventlog of windows.
System events, eventid 37  source Time-serice.
You should see. There that the pc syncs time with one of the dc's.

So its also very very important to keep the ntp.conf over all DC's the same.
And make sure all you devices point to the DC.s for time.

I suggest reviewing : https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Time_Synchronisation  also.
Because if above isnt working, setup GPO (on the link) part
- Setting User Defined Time Sources and Options
But if everything is configured correctly, this should not be needed.

Greetz,

Louis