[Samba] Initial AD Setup

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu May 4 21:22:32 UTC 2017

On Thu, 4 May 2017 13:53:31 -0700
Luke Barone via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> 5. On the member server, wb-info works, getent does not, for verifying
> users and groups existing.

This is undoubtedly your problem, if getent does not show your windows
users as Unix users, they will not be able to connect to the domain
member.

> 1. Are we on the right path for setting up AD correctly?

It sounds like it.

> 2. How bad would it be to share the folders from the DC itself? We
> would have anywhere between 20 and 1000 users logged in at a time,
> all from Windows 7, 8.1 and 10 computers.

Your proposed way with 2 DCs and a domain member is the best way to go.

> Thanks in advance! Once I get the smb.conf files, I'll get them
> posted as well.

Post the smb.conf files, especially the domain member one, this is
probably where your problems lie.

Rowland