[Samba] Transfer the FSMO roles

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue May 2 07:41:54 UTC 2017

On Mon, 1 May 2017 19:38:58 -0300
Marcio Demetrio Bacci via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> I've been thinking if it's better to make a new Samba 4 DC server
> instead upgrade the old DC and then transfer the FSMO roles to it and
> shut down the old server.
>
> This way the installation would be cleaner and free of any errors of
> the old installation.

Not necessarily, if there are errors in sam.ldb, these will just
replicate to the new DC.

> Do I need to execute the 5 commands below?

No, if you want to transfer all the fsmo roles to a new DC, you can use:

samba-tool fsmo transfer --role=all -UAdministrator

If you can upgrade via distro packages, then this is the way to
upgrade. If you want to upgrade to a later version that your distro
doesn't supply, then it is probably easier to create a new DC to
replace the old one.

Rowland