[Samba] Transfer the FSMO roles

Norbert Hanke norbert.hanke at gmx.ch
Tue May 2 05:56:44 UTC 2017

Hi,

I always upgrade my pair of samba DCs that way, first one and when it
runs stable for a week or so I do the other one.

Depending on the version you need to transfer two more FSMO roles:
samba-tool fsmo transfer --role=domaindns -U administrator
samba-tool fsmo transfer --role=forestdns -U administrator

Make sure that the new DC runs perfectly in sync with the old one, check
e.g. by Louis van Belle's script on
https://downloads.van-belle.nl/samba4/samba-check-db-repl.sh , do a
"samba-tool dbcheck --cross-ncs" on the new DC.

Make sure that the sysvol folder has been properly synchronized to the
new DC.

Reconfigure client systems to not use the old DC anymore for DNS

Switch the old DC off and check if everything still works, for a few
hours or days, depending on load.

Then it is time to switch the old DC on one last time and demote it.

After demote you need to clean up left-overs of the old DC in AD, see
"Verifying the Demotion" in
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Demoting_a_Samba_AD_DC , and you might
as well with RSAT crawl through the whole DNS and remove all references
to the old DC.

Another "samba-tool dbcheck --cross-ncs" on the new DC will find some
orphaned entries that can be removed with --fix and than you're
definitely done with the upgrade.

regards,
Norbert