[Samba] Fwd: Re: Samba AD Manage User, set unix passwd

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Mar 30 09:36:16 UTC 2017

On Thu, 30 Mar 2017 11:14:40 +0200
basti via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hello, as is the link I have set a unix password.
>
> add: unixUserPassword
> unixUserPassword: ABCD!efgh12345$67890 # dummy unix password that ADUC
> gives to all Unix users
>
> But I can't login with this pass. Is this password clear-text? must it
> be a hash?
> Is there a way to config winbind to use this ldap attribute?

You didn't actually use 'ABCD!efgh12345$67890' as the password ?

It is, as it says, a dummy password and if you add the Unix attributes
with ADUC, this is what you get for every user.

You will need to supply the password in what ever way the service you
are going to use it for requires i.e. SSHA

You will also need to tell what ever service it is, how to get the
password

If Dovecot is involved, you can set this up to use the users AD
password.

Rowland