[Samba] Best way to integrate Unix with AD.

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 18:23:50 UTC 2017

> On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 14:20:57 +0000
> "A. James Lewis" <james at fsck.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> OK, I stand corrected... I was sure the last time I looked there it
>> assumed you have a Windows machine to administer the environment....
>> which I don't, but it seems that this assumption is no longer the
>> case.
>>
>> Is this the most sensible approach?... I've heard talk of directory
>> tools that maintain a meta level directory and present it as either
>> AD or whatever you need for another environment...
>>
>> One thing I'm not sure about, is if the RFC2307 schema in AD includes
>> automounter information, for autofs?...
>>
> Not as standard, but the wiki has a page for it:
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_AD_schema_extensions
>
> Rowland

I am trying to setup Windows 2012R2 as the directory server . this is to
migrate from a classic domain with Oracle ldap server backend for samba
data, unix accounts, autofs etc.      Samba 4 as an AD domain  does not
fully support trusts, and I don't feel comfortable using Samba as a
directory server in a domain or forest that will have exchange
servers.    And if I am going thru migration pain I might as well just
switch to Windows domain servers.    I haven't worked with Windows 2016
yet.

If I can get RFC2307bis schema added to the AD schema then that should
take care of the major hurdle to implementing autofs support.   With
linux, autofs configuration is flexible to support the "old" RFC2307
autofs syntax.  However, solaris expects the newer RFC2307bis syntax.
If you don't have solaris then you can probably manage with the older
syntax.

I also have been looking at Centrify's web site-   I don't think they
provide a meta-directory, but instead they provide linux AD client
software.     This might make some of the administration and deployment
simpler.     I don't think it is essential.