[Samba] Samba 4.2X as a member server in ActiveDirectory functional level 2016 domain

Moby list at mobsternet.com
Mon Mar 20 16:18:24 UTC 2017

On 3/20/2017 04:13, Rowland Penny wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Mar 2017 19:28:37 -0500
> Moby via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
>> Can Samba 4.2.X work as a member server in a Windows server 2016
>> activedirectory domain?  I am using Samba member servers in Windows
>> 2012R2 domain and would like to know if I can upgrade the domain to
>> functional level server 2016 without breaking Samba.
>>
>> Thank you in advance for any help,
>>
> It all depends on what you mean by 'member server', if you mean, can I
> provision a member server like I can provision a DC, then no, you
> cannot. The only thing you can provision is a DC.
>
> If you mean, can I set up Samba as a domain member and use it as a
> member server, then yes, you should be able to.
>
> You cannot upgrade the functional level to 2016 yet.
>
> Rowland

Thanks Rowland, sorry for the lack of clarity.  I meant can I setup
Samba 4.2.X as a domain member server so that, for example, I can grant
file system access to activedirectory principals.  From what you say, it
looks like this is possible.  Are you we should not upgrade the domain
functional level to 2016 if we have Samba machines running as domain
member servers?

Regards,
--Moby