[Samba] Samba 4.2X as a member server in ActiveDirectory functional level 2016 domain

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Mar 20 16:30:52 UTC 2017

On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 11:18:24 -0500
Moby via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Thanks Rowland, sorry for the lack of clarity.  I meant can I setup
> Samba 4.2.X as a domain member server so that, for example, I can
> grant file system access to activedirectory principals.  From what
> you say, it looks like this is possible.  Are you we should not
> upgrade the domain functional level to 2016 if we have Samba machines
> running as domain member servers?

You can upgrade the functional level on Windows DCs to what you require,
you just cannot do the same with Samba DCs, the maximum level at
present is 2008R2.

You should be able to use the Samba domain members with 2016, you
aren't actually altering AD (except for creating the computer account).

Rowland