[Samba] Allow user without uidNumber to access to a Samba member file server

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Mar 15 17:09:18 UTC 2017

On Wed, 15 Mar 2017 18:49:30 +0200
Arnaud Cruzel <a.cruzel at ifporient.org> wrote:

> Le mercredi 15 mars 2017 à 16:08 +0000, Rowland Penny via samba a
> écrit :
> > On Wed, 15 Mar 2017 17:13:43 +0200
> > Arnaud Cruzel <a.cruzel at ifporient.org> wrote:

> Sorry I said Unix client, but I'd like to say unix machine.
> An active directory user connected on an unix machine member of domain
> seem to be unable to access to shares when the share server have idmap
> set with rid.

As long as a user is in AD it will have a RID, so the 'rid' backend
should work, as long as smb.conf etc is set up correctly.

Can you post the smb.conf from a Unix machine that this happens on.

> > Wait until the cache expires and wait for the screams :-)
> Yes I heard them... from unix and Mac OSx domains users :D.
> I locked my office door !
> Windows users kept cool.

I would barricade the door ;-)

> So I think I have no choice in a mixed environment Mac OSx, Windows
> and Linux, I have to set uidNumber...
> Arghhh

Not sure about Mac, never used it, but you should be able to use 'rid'
with Unix

> But You told about a patch in your other mail for setting
> automatically uidNumbers ?? Where is it ? I want it.

It basically does what the Unix attribute tab did/does, but I don't
really want to upset Andrew by releasing it outside Samba.

Rowland