[Samba] Allow user without uidNumber to access to a Samba member file server

Arnaud Cruzel a.cruzel at ifporient.org
Wed Mar 15 16:49:30 UTC 2017

Le mercredi 15 mars 2017 à 16:08 +0000, Rowland Penny via samba a
écrit :
> On Wed, 15 Mar 2017 17:13:43 +0200
> Arnaud Cruzel <a.cruzel at ifporient.org> wrote:
>

> > OK, I tried that. After what there is no long problems for access
> > file server by an user without uidNumber. But now it's impossible
> > for
> > unix client to access to samba shares on this server.
>
> You never mentioned Unix users
>
> The 'rid' backend works by calculating the users ID from its Windows
> RID, Unix users do not have a RID, so they don't get an ID.
>
> If you have Unix users, you will have to create the users in AD,
> set the Unix machines up as a domain member (info available on the
> Samba wiki)
> and remove the users from the Unix machine (they cannot be
> in /etc/passwd and AD). You could also return to using the 'ad'
> backend, but you would still have to make the Unix machines domain
> members.
Sorry I said Unix client, but I'd like to say unix machine.
An active directory user connected on an unix machine member of domain
seem to be unable to access to shares when the share server have idmap
set with rid.

> > I think because of uid are differents. For information I didn't
> > have
> > to change shares
> > owner, the server kept the same uids for users (I think because of
> > caching ?)
>
> Wait until the cache expires and wait for the screams :-)
Yes I heard them... from unix and Mac OSx domains users :D.
I locked my office door !
Windows users kept cool.

So I think I have no choice in a mixed environment Mac OSx, Windows and
Linux, I have to set uidNumber...
Arghhh

But You told about a patch in your other mail for setting automatically
 uidNumbers ?? Where is it ? I want it.

Thanks