[Samba] samba on ZFS

Klaus Hartnegg hartnegg at uni-freiburg.de
Mon Mar 6 16:17:07 UTC 2017

> On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 01:54:24 -0800
> brian lamb via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi Rowland,
>>
>> I see this in the ZFS props, if that’s related, you might be
>> referring to something in ext3 that im not aware of at the moment.
>>
>> pool/myshare         aclinherit     restricted        default
>> pool/myshare         acltype        off               default
>
> Samba provides a link between Samba and ZFS, see here for the manpage:
>
> https://fossies.org/linux/samba/docs/manpages/vfs_zfsacl.8

I am running Samba on ZFS without vfs_zfsacl, but with these zfs options:
- xattr=sa
- acltype=posixacl
- aclinherit=restricted

Samba is currenently 3.6.23-33.el6 from Scientific Linux, running as PDC.

Planning to replace this with 4.5 as AD-DC.

> I do not use ZFS, mainly because you cannot create a Samba AD DC on it.

Does it fail only when ZFS is used as root filesystem, or for SYSVOL, or
does it not even support ZFS just for shared files?
Not even with "zfs set acltype=posixacl pool/share"?
The root filesystem is ext4.

Klaus