[Samba] Missing security tab samba 4.1.13

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sat Mar 4 23:34:31 UTC 2017

On Sat, 4 Mar 2017 23:52:54 +0100
Bart Coninckx <info at bitsandtricks.com> wrote:

> Hi Rowland,
>
> >Why follow that particular howto ?
>

> Well, I googled for a fair amount of them and this one had a fair
> amount of comments to it, which proved useful as I encountered some
> of the errors and was able to learn from them. Also, I was able to
> add my own solutions to other people's problems, which I like. In
> that way it becomes a community driven How To. In my experience those
> work out better often.

What do you think the Samba wiki is ?
If you want to add to a community driven howto, register for an account
and then contribute to the Samba wiki.

> Can I simply copy the ACLs of "netlogon" or "sysvol"?

Probably not, you need to decide who has what access to where and set
the ACLs accordingly.

> Good point, I don't have that. I suppose I miss a pointer record for
> the server then.

Unless you have created the reverse zone, you will not have any
pointer records. Just for the record, the howto you used doesn't
mention that

> Ha, you are now referencing to the page I just mentioned. It does not
> mention setting ACLs, which should be added I suppose.

Did you miss:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_a_Share_Using_Windows_ACLs#Setting_Share_Permissions_and_ACLs

Can I suggest upgrading to the latest Samba version 4.5.5 and following
the Samba wiki, not some random webpage, that way, you are sure to get
the full and correct info. If there is something on the Samba wiki you
do not understand, ask here.

Rowland