[Samba] Samba as BDC: unable to write on shared folders

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Mar 3 13:41:48 UTC 2017

On Fri, 03 Mar 2017 14:04:53 +0100
Roberto Spedale - Studio Progetto Ambiente <r.spedale at progambiente.it>
wrote:

> ps://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/samba-bdc.html)
> > Can I ask why you are setting up an NT4-style domain, you do know
> > that Windows made them EOL quite a long time ago and is trying to
> > make them hard to use with the newer versions of Windows.
> >
> > Also, the howto that you refer to is extremely old is not
> > recommended anymore.
> >

> Many thanks Penny!
> I know is not recommended but I have just inherited the management of
> the corporate network from a former colleague and now I do not have a
> great experience and I would like to proceed gradually.

Hi Spedale, Can I suggest you speed up, overtake that slow, liable to
breakdown NT4 domain and use a Samba AD domain ?

I think you will find it easier than trying to get the NT4-style domain
working, plus you get the opportunity to manage it from windows via
ADUC, or from Linux via samba-tool.

Most of what you will learn by using the NT4 domain isn't used in an AD
domain, plus there is a lot you can do with an AD domain that you
cannot do with an NT4 domain, GPO's for instance.

The only problem that I can see, you are using Centos and, at the
present, you cannot set up an AD DC with the OS packages.

It is only a small problem, you could compile Samba yourself on Centos,
or change to another OS such as Debian and then use Louis Van
Belle's packages from here:

https://downloads.van-belle.nl/samba4/samba-4.5.3/

These are the most up-to-date free packages available at the present,
though no doubt Louis is working on later packages.

Rowland