[Samba] Windows cant access shared directories after changed password with smbpasswd

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Jun 26 13:38:22 UTC 2017

On Mon, 26 Jun 2017 09:46:45 -0300
Cesar Martins via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hi Rowland ,
>
> No, we didn't .
> We only change in the Samba Server.
>
> The login used on Windows and used on Samba are different and should
> not have relation (technically speaking).
> Eg.:
> I'm logged in with user "dbadmin" at windows and when I access the
> Samba server , on the first access I informed "cinacio" and the
> password which works fine. When I change the password of "cinacio" in
> samba server, the windows machine stops access and return to ask the
> user/password. I inform the user "cinacio" and the new password, but
> the samba does not authorize and into its log show as BAD PASSWORD...
> I'm know the password is OK into the Samba, because if I test using
> "smbclient" it work.

Your 'samba' password and your windows password MUST be the same to
allow you to connect to a Samba share from a Windows machine without
being prompted for a password. I do not understand why, after being
prompted for the correct username & password, that it doesn't connect,
I feel this must be something to do with Windows rather than Samba.

It might help if you shared your smb.conf and told us if your windows
machines are part of a domain or a workgroup.

Rowland