[Samba] samba 4.4.14 breaks classic domain

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 18:57:26 UTC 2017

Good catch.  I had set server max protocol to NT1 after upgrading from
samba 3.x to 4.x .  Some windows clients had problems with SMB2  and
file shares (tho this should not really be an issue with the domain
controllers.)

I have now set the dc's to

         server max protocol = SMB2
         server min protocol = NT1

and the client machine to be

         client max protocol = SMB2
         client min protocol = NT1

But it doesn't fix the problem.      I don't thin kthe

The machine in question is not used heavily so it is possible there was
some issue prior to the latest patch.

Setting a 4.4.13 version machine to use NT1 and SMB2 as the min and max
protocols for client and server does not seem to cause a problems with
validating the domain membership.

I had compiled samba 4.5.1 some months ago in an alternate directory,
and it also fails with "net join" (although it may be picking up library
files that were updated with the system update.)

I may try rolling back the OS patches.