[Samba] Upgrading samba from jessie (4.2) to stretch (4.5) in AD mode...

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Wed Jun 21 14:30:24 UTC 2017

..
He did not post smb.conf ;-)
The rest is shown because he used testparm not samba-tool testparm

See youself, ;-)

testparm > test1.txt
samba-tool testparm > test2.txt
diff test1.txt test2.txt

Thats ok, i know a lot of the packages..  :-) not all but a lot.

I've updated some info on my site :
http://downloads.van-belle.nl/samba4/README.txt

I'll post it here also since the subject is good now.
Some Debian samba upgrade pitfall's

For any debian samba 4.1.x and debian samba 4.2.x upgrades to 4.5 and up

if you have in smb.conf :
security = share

Change that to :
security = user
map to guest = Bad User

!! you upgrade fails if you smb.conf is incorrect. !!
Solution is correct smb.conf, run:  dpkg-reconfigure -a

There are things that are known to error when upgrading. (These are not related to my packages.)
For example :
A) The nsswitch.conf with : winbind compat ( change that back to compat winbind)
Source info : https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2017-June/121139.html

B) Old settings in smb.conf prevent good upgrade, remove the old settings.
a bug report about this: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=816301
see also the Upgrade-info.txt for the sumerized changed settings.

C) There was a small change in a package of debian, you may need to force a package.
In this case you need to force install the package and override the file.
This is some older debian bug, you can use : dpkg -i --force-all /var/cache/apt/archive/thepackage.deb
Its a vfs module that changed from samba-common to samba-vfs-common.
You can overwrite without risk.

D) minor thing, if you install only winbind, you see and message about missing ..path/ldb
winbind does not need it, if you dont want to see this messa
ge, apt-get install samba-dsdb-common

Now the world knows :-)

Greetz,

Louis