Debian bug #833287, ubuntu #1584485: feedback request about patch

Andreas Hasenack andreas at canonical.com
Fri Jun 16 14:39:24 UTC 2017

Hi,

A user filed this samba bug against ubuntu:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1584485

TL;DR the problem happened during a particular upgrade:
> Unpacking libnss-winbind:amd64 (2:4.3.11+dfsg-0ubuntu0.14.04.1) over
(2:4.1.6+dfsg-1ubuntu2) ...
> dpkg-deb: error: subprocess tar was killed by signal (Segmentation
fault), core dumped

That user had winbind in /etc/nsswitch.conf (but strangely, before
files/compat, not after, not sure why).

An IRC discussion started, documented in
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/samba/+bug/1584485/comments/12
and later, and making a static build with certain libraries seemed the best
option. A patch for that was proposed in
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/samba/+bug/1584485/comments/17 and
accepted.

That introduced a regression (https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1677329),
however: pam_winbind had unresolved symbols at runtime and couldn't be
loaded. The patch was reverted, but by mistake added back again at some
later point (!).

I'm attaching a new version of that patch that fixes the missing symbols
problem (bug #1677329), but I'm not familiar with the samba4 buildsystem
and would like some feedback. I'm still working on the DEP3 header, the
history of this one is a bit complicated. I uploaded test packages with
this patch into
https://launchpad.net/~ahasenack/+archive/ubuntu/samba-1677329/+packages
and a couple of users confirmed it fixed the missing symbols problem for
them.

Thanks!