[Samba] [4.2.14-Debian] Smbd not listening on 192.168.0.x on cold start

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Jun 19 11:22:00 UTC 2017

On Mon, 19 Jun 2017 03:43:13 -0700 (PDT)
Winfried via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> So it looks like the init script in the Samba package in the Debian
> repository needs to be edited for a non-DC home server.

Two things here, it is your computer and you can do what you like with
it, secondly, I personally do not think that the 'samba' init script
should try and start a Samba AD DC if there is a separate init script
to do this.

I personally would edit the init script, or you could do what I do, set
the nmbd & smbd init scripts to be started at boot, instead of running
'samba' at boot.

This is all you need on a standalone server, but if your Samba machine
is a Unix domain member, you will also need winbind to be started at
boot.

Rowland