[Samba] question on password server =

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Thu Jun 15 10:04:54 UTC 2017

Read below..  ;-)

Your output is 100% correct.. No worries..  ;-)
My test same, i just can find the technet article on this just now.
host -t A internal.domain.tld
internal.domain.tld has address 192.168.0.2
internal.domain.tld has address 192.168.0.1
(These to can change in order. )

Imo. The suggestion of packetfence..
Its not wrong to use : password server = internal.domain.tld
But it is not the same as   : password server = *

What we need here is, how does this exact work. ( from the password server setting/function/code etc.. )

What i think,
In case of password server = internal.domain.tld
PF resolves internal.domain.tld, and comes back with one of the 2 domain controllers in this example.
And to my believe but this is more a developer question, so Rowland pay attention..  ;-)
If the resolving is done by the "password server" setting, does it check if the server is online.

In case of the setting : password server = *
To my believe a check is done if the server is online.

But i just cant read this in the code, for me much to complex..

And thats the question..

Greetz,

Louis