[Samba] RPC Server is unavailable

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Jun 12 20:15:56 UTC 2017

On Mon, 12 Jun 2017 12:36:44 -0700 (PDT)
davidgs via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> > And it Voodoo, you don't do so well LOL, to paraphrase an old song.
> >
> > I suggest you change the [global] by removing these lines:
>
> So I made all of those changes, and continue to get the same error.
> Hmm ... as a test, I re-ran
> root at dc1:~# samba-tool domain provision --use-rfc2307 --interactive

You know have a new Domain, you will need to join your windows machines
to the new Domain.

> And it appears that all the proper services are running properly:

You even have one you shouldn't ;-)

> service --status-all
>  [ - ]  mountnfs-bootclean.sh
>  [ - ]  mountnfs.sh
>  [ + ]  networking
>  [ + ]  nmbd

'nmbd' shouldn't be running on a Samba AD DC

> And yet, still, any attempt to connect from the Active Directory
> Domain Services management on a Win7 PC still whines that the ADWS
> isn't running and I can't manage anything.

Ah, Whilst concentrating on your smb.conf, I missed you want something
to be running that Samba doesn't know anything about. Sorry but ADWS
doesn't run on a Samba AD DC.

> I can successfully logon
> using an AD username/password to the PC using the domain controller,
> but that's about as far as I can get.
>
> The net-login is great and all, but without roaming profiles and
> folder redirection, I'm going to spend all my time managing
> individual PCs at this place...

You can get those working on a Samba AD DC, see here:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Roaming_Windows_User_Profiles

and here:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Configuring_Windows_Profile_Folder_Redirections

Rowland