[Samba] RPC Server is unavailable

davidgs samba at davidgs.com
Mon Jun 12 19:36:44 UTC 2017

> And it Voodoo, you don't do so well LOL, to paraphrase an old song.
>
> I suggest you change the [global] by removing these lines:

So I made all of those changes, and continue to get the same error. Hmm ...
as a test, I re-ran
root at dc1:~# samba-tool domain provision --use-rfc2307 --interactive

and ended up with the following smb.conf:
# Global parameters
[global]
	workgroup = NSSKIN
	realm = NSSKIN.COM
	netbios name = DC1
	dns forwarder = 192.168.1.1
	idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes

[netlogon]
	path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol/nsskin.com/scripts
	read only = No

[sysvol]
	path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol
	read only = No
[home]
	read only = No
	path = /var/lib/samba/home

And can successfully:
root at dc1:~# smbclient -L dc1.nsskin.com -U 'administrator'
Enter administrator's password:
Domain=[NSSKIN] OS=[Windows 6.1] Server=[Samba 4.3.11-Ubuntu]

	Sharename       Type      Comment
	---------       ----      -------
	netlogon        Disk
	sysvol          Disk
	IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba 4.3.11-Ubuntu)
Domain=[NSSKIN] OS=[Windows 6.1] Server=[Samba 4.3.11-Ubuntu]

	Server               Comment
	---------            -------
	DC1                  dc1 server (Samba, Ubuntu)

	Workgroup            Master
	---------            -------
	NSSKIN               DC1

And it appears that all the proper services are running properly:

service --status-all
 [ - ]  mountnfs-bootclean.sh
 [ - ]  mountnfs.sh
 [ + ]  networking
 [ + ]  nmbd
 [ + ]  samba
 [ + ]  samba-ad-dc
 [ + ]  smbd
 [ - ]  winbind

And yet, still, any attempt to connect from the Active Directory Domain
Services management on a Win7 PC still whines that the ADWS isn't running
and I can't manage anything. I can successfully logon using an AD
username/password to the PC using the domain controller, but that's about as
far as I can get.

The net-login is great and all, but without roaming profiles and folder
redirection, I'm going to spend all my time managing individual PCs at this
place...

dg