[Samba] mount.cifs fails with protocol SMBv2.x on a DFS share

Aurélien Aptel aaptel at suse.com
Mon Jun 12 13:59:38 UTC 2017

Christian Garling via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> writes:
> is there some documentation around where I can read about that? Where
> can I find the information, that I need Kernel 4.11 or above to get DFS
> with SMB2.0 / 2.1 / 3.0 and above working?

There are no documentation about it I'm afraid, apart from the kernel
git log.

$ git show 9d49640a21bf
commit 9d49640a21bf
Author: Aurelien Aptel <aaptel at suse.com>
Date:   Mon Feb 13 16:16:49 2017 +0100

    CIFS: implement get_dfs_refer for SMB2+

    in SMB2+ the get_dfs_refer operation uses a FSCTL. The request can be
    made on any Tree Connection according to the specs. Since Samba only
    accepted it on an IPC connection until recently, try that first.

% git tag --contains 9d49640a21bf
v4.11
v4.11-rc1
v4.11-rc2
v4.11-rc3
v4.11-rc4
v4.11-rc5
v4.11-rc6
v4.11-rc7
v4.11-rc8
v4.11.1
v4.11.2
v4.11.3
v4.11.4
v4.12-rc1
v4.12-rc2
v4.12-rc3
v4.12-rc4
v4.12-rc5

This may get backported to your linux distro. Check for this commit
above which is the final one of the series. It will probably have a
different hash on your distro repo obviously but description should
match.

Cheers,

--
Aurélien Aptel / SUSE Labs Samba Team
GPG: 1839 CB5F 9F5B FB9B AA97  8C99 03C8 A49B 521B D5D3