[Samba] failed to call wbcGetpwnam/wbcGetgrnam/wbcGetpwsid WBC_ERR_DOMAIN_NOT_FOUND

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Jun 8 11:48:23 UTC 2017

On Thu, 8 Jun 2017 12:20:22 +0100
Alex Matthews via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> > You don't have any idmap configuration in that smb.conf.
> Correct. That is my idmap configuration.
>
> > At last, there is your problem, you need PAM because you need Unix
> > authentication.
> If you set up PAM 'getent passwd testuser' will work.
>
> <bangs head against a brick wall HARD> That is NOT my problem because
> I am not trying to get unix auth to work... I am trying to get wbinfo
> to work wbinfo and 'getent passwd username' do not require PAM to be
> configured.

Well, there has to be a first time for everything, but whilst 'wbinfo'
doesn't need PAM, 'getent' certainly does.

> To prove this, I have just created a dummy domain controller and DID
> NO PAM CONFIGURATION AT ALL and guess what, 'getent passwd username'
> works, as do the wbinfo lines.

I did the same and getent didn't work for me until I altered PAM.

>  So will you please stop harping on
> about PAM. It has NOTHING to do with this issue. My problem is
> something deep within samba. Something has gone AWOL somewhere. I
> don't believe it is a configuration issue.

I feel it must be a configuration problem, because I had it working
with Arch linux and the stock Samba packages.

> @Louis - Rowland is very good at parroting back meaningless
> information and proving that "something should work" however he is
> utterly useless at getting to the bottom of an issue, or understand
> that this MIGHT NOT BE a configuration issue. I don't know that makes
> him a "good guy"

Could it have anything to do with me being a member of the Samba
team ???

Whilst it might not be a configuration problem, this is unlikely,
unless you have altered the samba packages or have a mix up between the
various Samba packages that Arch provides.

I have it working, you say you have it working on test DC, it just
doesn't work on your main DC. All I can suggest is, see if you can see
any differences between the packages on your test machine and your main
DC, different versions, conf files etc.

I, or anybody else, cannot do any more than this, we do not have access
to your machines.

Rowland