[Samba] How to update the root hints for bind DLZ

Garming Sam garming at catalyst.net.nz
Thu Jun 8 00:03:45 UTC 2017

The RootDNSServers zone is special in a number of ways. It has no SOA
record for instance, and so there's a lot of special casing around it.
Looking on a Windows DC, dnscmd /enumzones lists dot as a zone and
dnscmd /enumrecords . returns the root servers (as well as ..RootHints
it seems). None of this is our choice of convention unfortunately, but
it should be fairly simple to make the client tools have aliases for these.

In terms of listing a name during enumeration of zones, the fact Windows
lists . somehow, but I don't think we do, means there's more to be done
here. It may just be some more client magic (that they've done and we
may need to do) but the underlying RPC/C code which lists the zone
probably shouldn't list any strange aliases that we decide.

Cheers,

Garming