[Samba] How to update the root hints for bind DLZ

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Jun 7 07:24:43 UTC 2017

On Wed, 7 Jun 2017 15:45:39 +1200
Garming Sam <garming at catalyst.net.nz> wrote:

> It looks like the original intention in our code was to be able to
> add/modify records with the "." zone. Trying it, there seems to be
> other issues with using it. I'm not entirely sure if this alias is
> valid against Windows or for which calls.

The zone is definitely called 'RootDNSServers' not '.'

If something looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a
duck, it is a duck.

The object in AD for 'RootDNSServers' looks like a zone record, it is
in 'CN=MicrosoftDNS,DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=samdom,DC=example,DC=com' and
it has the 'objectClass' dnsZone, therefore it is a zone.

Samba needs to see this zone before we can even think about
updating/changing the root records.

What is the difference between:

DC=devstation,DC=samdom.example.com,CN=MicrosoftDNS,DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=samdom,DC=example,DC=com

and

DC=h.root-servers.net,DC=RootDNSServers,CN=MicrosoftDNS,CN=System,DC=samdom,DC=example,DC=com

The difference is that you can update the first record, but you cannot
update the second, even though they are both valid DNS records in a
zone. The only difference is that the 'samdom.example.com' zone is
recognised by Samba and 'RootDNSServers' isn't

Sorry, but I will not be testing your patches, they are the wrong fix,
Samba needs to see the 'RootDNSServers' zone.

Rowland