[Samba] Doubt on working with services in Samba 4

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Jun 7 13:38:40 UTC 2017

On Wed, 07 Jun 2017 13:02:17 +0000
Cleiton Rodrigues de Souza via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hi, I'm new to the list and would like to ask a question with
> experienced users. I plan to build a structure with Samba 4 as AD-DC,
> print server and archiving server. My question is if I use a scenario
> with a single Samba 4 server with all the services, or if I create a
> Samba 4 server for each application, that is, one Samba server as
> AD-DC, another Samba Server as Print Server and another Server Samba
> as File Server.
>
> Which of the scenarios would be ideal for working with Samba 4?

You would probably be better creating a DC for authentication (two
would be better) and Unix domain server for the print and file server.

> Another question is which operating system would be best suited to
> work with these services with Samba 4?

Are you trying to start a flame war :-)
What one person will recommend, another
will say is rubbish, it is all down to you.
What I can say is that you cannot create a DC on Centos etc with the OS
Samba packages, you would have to use the Sernet packages or compile
Samba yourself.

Rowland