[Samba] Share USB pendrive in ADSL router

Rodolfo Medina rodolfo.medina at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 21:34:06 UTC 2017

Rowland Penny via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> writes:

> On Tue, 06 Jun 2017 21:53:00 +0100
> Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Rowland Penny via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> writes:
>> > This is with my router:
>> >
>> > rowland at devstation:~$ sudo mount.cifs //192.168.0.1/USB1 /mnt/cifs
>> > Password for root@//192.168.0.1/USB1: <-- I just pressed 'Enter'
>> > rowland at devstation:~$ ls /mnt/cifs
>> > home  PVR  RunSanDiskSecureAccess_Win.exe  SanDiskSecureAccess
>>
>> Same result pressing `Enter'...
>>
>> Rodolfo
>
> Your router is probably sharing the USB drive as a standalone server
> with guest access, it also very probably using a very old version of
> Samba.
>
> You need to obtain and read the manual for your router, this should
> tell you how your router shares the USB.
>
> If you run 'smbclient -L 192.168.1.1' and then press the 'Enter' key
> when prompted for the password, do you get something like this:
>
> Domain=[PNHUB1] OS=[] Server=[]
>
> 	Sharename       Type      Comment
> 	---------       ----      -------
> 	USB1            Disk      Cruzer Force (Rev: 1.00)
> 	IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Plusnet Hub One File Server)
> Domain=[PNHUB1] OS=[] Server=[]
>
> 	Server               Comment
> 	---------            -------
>
> 	Workgroup            Master
> 	---------            -------
> 	HOME                 PNHUB1
>
> Note the 'USB1' share, this is the USB drive plugged into my router.
>
> If, when you run the 'smbclient' command, you don't get the USB drive
> listed, your router isn't recognising it.

Pressing `Enter' when prompted for the password:

$ smbclient -L 192.168.1.1
WARNING: The "syslog" option is deprecated
Enter rodolfo's password:
Connection to 192.168.1.1 failed (Error NT_STATUS_IO_TIMEOUT)

But, from the router web's GUI, I'm sure the USB drive is seen, and also shown
the free and busy memory space on it.

What to do?...

Thanks,

Rodolfo