[Samba] Share USB pendrive in ADSL router

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Jun 6 21:13:32 UTC 2017

On Tue, 06 Jun 2017 21:53:00 +0100
Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina at gmail.com> wrote:

> Rowland Penny via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> writes:
> > This is with my router:
> >
> > rowland at devstation:~$ sudo mount.cifs //192.168.0.1/USB1 /mnt/cifs
> > Password for root@//192.168.0.1/USB1: <-- I just pressed 'Enter'
> > rowland at devstation:~$ ls /mnt/cifs
> > home  PVR  RunSanDiskSecureAccess_Win.exe  SanDiskSecureAccess
>
> Same result pressing `Enter'...
>
> Rodolfo

Your router is probably sharing the USB drive as a standalone server
with guest access, it also very probably using a very old version of
Samba.

You need to obtain and read the manual for your router, this should
tell you how your router shares the USB.

If you run 'smbclient -L 192.168.1.1' and then press the 'Enter' key
when prompted for the password, do you get something like this:

Domain=[PNHUB1] OS=[] Server=[]

	Sharename       Type      Comment
	---------       ----      -------
	USB1            Disk      Cruzer Force (Rev: 1.00)
	IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Plusnet Hub One File Server)
Domain=[PNHUB1] OS=[] Server=[]

	Server               Comment

	Workgroup            Master
	HOME                 PNHUB1

Note the 'USB1' share, this is the USB drive plugged into my router.

If, when you run the 'smbclient' command, you don't get the USB drive
listed, your router isn't recognising it.

Rowland