[Samba] Can I update our CIFS kernel module to support SMB 2.1/3 in RHEL/CentOS 6.x?

DW LNDeveloper lndevdw at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 18:01:03 UTC 2017

Hi,
At my company we run server farms based on RHEL/CentOS 6.x and are nowhere near our EOL on those servers yet.  So upgrading them to run RHEL/CentOS 7 in order to gain SMB 2/3 support (since SMB 1 has recently been disabled) is a difficult path for us to take at the present time.

Is it possible to acquire an updated cifs.ko kernel driver that supports SMB 2.1+ or 3 and install and use that module with our existing RHEL/CentOS 6.x server installations?