[Samba] getent group not working on new domain member

Mark Foley mfoley at ohprs.org
Sun Jul 9 05:21:58 UTC 2017

Mark Foley via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> I have a troubling circumstance. I've installed a new domain member running Slackware64 14.2.
> This computer is practically a clone of another domain member I've had set up and running for
> over a year.
>
> Most everything seems to work. I have joined the domain and it does show up as a domain
> computer. The domain user can log onto the computer just fine. I can run `wbinfo -u`, `wbinfo
> -g` and `getent passwd myuser`. All return the correct information.
>
> What I cannot run is `getent group Domain\ Users`. I get nothing why I try. I can run this w/o
> problem on the other domain member. It doesn't seem to be affecting functionality so far, but
> the fact that it doesn't return my Domain Users info worrys me that something is broken.
>
> I do have "group: compat windbind" in nsswitch.conf.
>
> Any ideas as to what I should do or where I should look?
>
> --Mark

I haven't received any feedback on this yet, but I just ran into a situation where this
group-thing may be affecting. In /etc/cups/cups-files.conf I've set SystemGroup as:

SystemGroup sys root users "domain users"

However, cups does not like this:

# cupsd -t
"/etc/cups/cups-files.conf" contains errors.

I have to remve the "domain users" setting for cups to run. On the other domain member where
`getent group Domain\ Users` works, this cups SystemGroup setting is accepted.

--Mark