[Samba] getent group not working on new domain member

Mark Foley mfoley at ohprs.org
Sat Jul 8 16:47:13 UTC 2017

I have a troubling circumstance. I've installed a new domain member running Slackware64 14.2.
This computer is practically a clone of another domain member I've had set up and running for
over a year.

Most everything seems to work. I have joined the domain and it does show up as a domain
computer. The domain user can log onto the computer just fine. I can run `wbinfo -u`, `wbinfo
-g` and `getent passwd myuser`. All return the correct information.

What I cannot run is `getent group Domain\ Users`. I get nothing why I try. I can run this w/o
problem on the other domain member. It doesn't seem to be affecting functionality so far, but
the fact that it doesn't return my Domain Users info worrys me that something is broken.

I do have "group: compat windbind" in nsswitch.conf.

Any ideas as to what I should do or where I should look?

--Mark