[Samba] Can't create/update Group Policy in Samba 4.6.5

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Tue Jul 4 13:25:48 UTC 2017

Hai, the steps are (basily) good, only this one can be better.

>To solve, I executed the following commands:
>Chown 10060: 30028 -R sysvol
>Chmod 775 -R sysvol

If you use acl_xattr:ignore system acls = yes on the sysvol share, you must configur the share from withing windows.  (* or use smbcalcs , but i never used it. )

This is what i see:

ls -al  sysvol
total 24
drwxrwx---+ 3 root root                   4096 Nov 17  2016 .
drwxrwxr-x+ 5 root BUILTIN\administrators 4096 Apr 21 13:22 ..
drwxrwx---+ 5 root BUILTIN\administrators 4096 Feb 29  2016  internal.domain.tld

You notice the + behind the drwx.. ,  to see that use : getfacl /var/lib/samba/sysvol

# file: var/lib/samba/sysvol
# owner: root
# group: root
user::rwx
user:root:rwx
user:3000000:rwx
user:3000001:r-x
user:3000002:rwx
user:3000003:r-x
group::rwx
group:BUILTIN\134administrators:rwx
group:BUILTIN\134server\040operators:r-x
group:3000002:rwx
group:3000003:r-x
mask::rwx
other::---
default:user::rwx
default:user:root:rwx
default:user:3000000:rwx
default:user:3000001:r-x
default:user:3000002:rwx
default:user:3000003:r-x
default:group::---
default:group:BUILTIN\134administrators:rwx
default:group:BUILTIN\134server\040operators:r-x
default:group:3000002:rwx
default:group:3000003:r-x
default:mask::rwx
default:other::---
the numbers are explained a bit below. ( see security tab )
Take notice that : "NTDOM\Domain Admins" is member of BUILDIN\Administrators.
( above is not the samba default but a same setup as on a window 2008R2 server. )

A good tip to restore the defaults with samba-tool without errors.

move you domain folder out of the /var/lib/samba/sysvol folder.
mv /var/lib/samba/sysvol/intern.domain.tld to_somewhere else.
run samba-tool ntacl sysvolreset

Since there is not domain folder and policies folder, you dont get errors.
test with samba-tool ntacl sysvolcheck, if you dont have errors, backup these settings.

getfacl -R /var/lib/samba/sysvol > sysvol.permissions.acl
(and a restore option : setfacl --restore=sysvol.permissions.acl )

Now move you domain folder back.

Next, login with a user account that has domain admin rights. ( is member of )
goto the GPO editor, en klik on every GPO object. You will get some messages about incorrect rights, and if it wants to fix it, thats ok.
( forgot the artical but you can find this one on MS support, minor thing, wont affect you GPOs)

Last.
open de computer manager, connect to the DC, goto the security tab.
Sysvol security rights should be.
DOMAIN\Server Operators ( or BUILDIN\Server Operators )
Creator Owner
Authenticated Users
SYSTEM
DOMAIN\Administrators  ( or BUILDIN\Administrators )

DOMAIN\Administrators contains : "Domain Admins",Adminstrator and "Enterprise Admins"
And the "DOMAIN\Adminstrators" is in the Buildin OU.  ( could also be BUILDIN\Administrators )

And same for "DOMAIN\Users"  (could also be BUILDIN\Users) contains: Authenticated Users, Domain Users, INTERACTIVE)
ignore the DOMAIN\ and BUILDIN differences here. both are correct.
And if you done everything right, now you should be able to use the newAdmin and/or NTDOM\Administrator user to setup you GPO.

Greetz,

Louis