[Samba] Small file performance

John Gardeniers jgardeniers at objectmastery.com
Tue Jan 17 20:26:01 UTC 2017

Hi Volker,

Sorry to take so long to respond, it's been a bit busy around here.

I haven't taken another trace but I can report that with full_audit
disable I'm now getting small file performance similar to what I get
when transferring to/from a Windows server, so I suppose that's as good
as it's going to get. There is no perceptible difference with large files.

This raises an interesting question that should probably still be
investigated. Although the full_audit module had previously been loaded,
the Samba share I have been using for testing did not have auditing
enabled. Why then did it still have such a huge impact?

Also, I have commented out the full_audit module in smb.conf on the
production server and reloaded the config but the performance is still
the same. It would appear that Samba needs to be restarted for the
change to take effect, which is not something we can easily do without
impacting multiple key systems. Is there another way to unload the
module that won't cause disconnections?

regards,
John