[Samba] Small file performance

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Mon Jan 9 23:48:10 UTC 2017

hai john,

what is the preformance when you copy between the windows computers make sure you test hdd-hdd or sdd-sdd disk.

to my experience copien lots of small files is always much lower.

i get same results as you.
small files copy pc-server is around 3.5-4mb/s, 1 large file i get 110-114mb/s.
without changing the default in smb.conf.
tested on samba 4.5.3 debian 8 and 4.2.14 sernet samba ubuntu 14.04

why this is exacly is hard for me to explain in english.
maybe someone can.

pointers are.
sector block size of the partiton.

for example
standard block size 4k, large file copy max 85-90mb/s for me.
but with 4mb block size i get the max bandwith as write speed (1gbit) 110-114 mb/s

and harddisk iops.
hdd gets maybe 200-1000 iops.
ssd 50.000+

so optimizing block size per partiton can help a lot.

last, make sure you partions are aligned with the block size of the disk.
if you have an advanced format drive an the first sector is not aligned you can loose 20-30% in write speed.

hope that helps a bit for you. at least some things to checkout.

greetz

Louis