[Samba] ADS domain member: winbind fails [SOLVED]

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sun Jan 1 11:25:32 UTC 2017

On Sun, 1 Jan 2017 11:51:26 +0100
"Stefan G. Weichinger via samba" <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Am 2016-12-31 um 13:14 schrieb Rowland Penny via samba:
>
> >> "wbinfo -u" brings users now.
> >
> > Next step, does 'getent passwd a_username' show anything ?
>
> yes! On the member server:
>
> main ~ # grep ads1 /etc/passwd
>
> main ~ # getent passwd ads1
> ads1:*:13112:10513::/home/ARBEITSGRUPPE/ads1:/bin/false

Are these the numbers you want to use ?
I ask this because you are using the 'rid' backend, but will probably
also have uidNumber & gidNumber attributes in AD.

> This is a newly created user in the AD.
>
> As mentioned old users are in /etc/passwd on the member server from
> the time when it was the NT4-PDC. I might/should remove them from
> that file now?

Oh definitely 'should' ;-)

if you look in /etc/nsswitch.conf, the passwd line will be something
like this:

passwd:         compat winbind

This means that /etc/passwd will be checked first and any users found
there will be used instead of from AD, also you should not be able to
create new users in AD if they already exist in /etc/passwd. You only
need users and groups stored in one place and that is AD.

> >> Maybe I come back with another issue later, we saw permission
> >> problems at editing GPOs. "sysvolreset" and "sysvolcheck" done OK
> >> already.
> >
> > What problem are you having ?
>
> I have to re-test that onsite in the next days, I am currently at home
> and have no RSAT-tools at hand. When we edited group policy objects we
> got some "access denied", I can't remember the specific "path" now. We
> will test that in the next days and I report back.

You will probably need to give Domain Admins the disk operator
privilege:

net rpc rights grant DOMAIN\\"Domain Admins"
SeDiskOperatorPrivilege -UAdministrator

> Aside from that it looks to me as if that migration (NT4 domain -> AD
> domain) is pretty much done?
>
> -- have a happy new year everyone!
>
> Stefan

May I echo that sentiment, may the new year bring you everything you
wish for .

Rowland